The Ultimate Self Tanning Tips You Need to Know
Over the years I have had the pleasure of trying quite a few different self-tanning products to safely give my skin some color during the spring and summer months. During all of this research, I’ve also learned a few things about the best self-tanning tips to make an at-home tan even and last.
The Ultimate Self Tanning Tips:
- Exfoliate! Exfoliation is key to having prepped skin for any kind of training product. You can use a mitt on dry skin and rub in circular motions or get your skin nice and yet in the shower and use a bristle brush of some sort.
- Avoid oil-based body washes and lotions. These will not allow your tan to soak into your skin.
- Dry off completely. After you get out of the shower, make sure to completely dry off. Any water on your skin can react with the tanning product and create streaks. This also applies to washing your hands so be extra careful not to let the water splash anywhere.
- Skin prep with lotion. Before you apply your self-tanner, apply a tiny bit of lotion to your hands (in-between fingertips) knees and elbows. This will keep those areas from collecting too much product.
- Take your time applying it. I like to use a tanning mitt and go all over in circular motions. A word for your feet- my tanning goddess gave me this tip: use a small makeup brush to buff along your toes to avoid streaking. You won’t need that much product. I always have someone help me with my back and let them use the tanning mitt.
- Let it dry. once your Tanning product is on your skin wait for it to dry before putting anything on. If you do put clothes on, make there they are a dark color and loose fitting. Any areas that rub against your skin can disrupt the tanning formula from forming evenly in that area. I like to wear a loose bathrobe.
FOR THE FACE:
I use different self-tanning products on my face than I do on my body. I use a tanning facial serum under my normal skin moisturizer. Or I’ll put on a self-tanning night moisture mask. It is still important to follow the steps up above for exfoliating, washing, and drying off.
HOW LONG TO LEAVE PRODUCT ON:
The amount of time to leave the product on depends on the product so read the label accordingly. I love the 10-minute tan if I need a quick tan, but I actually leave it on for an hour. The Invisi tan I leave on for 6-8 hours and can go about my day without feeling gross. The tanning mousse I usually sleep in and wear long underwear to bed with tan colored sheets.
If you would like a darker color, you can apply more later on or the following day. I typically like to apply it two nights in a row.
Leave a comment below if you have any questions! Thank you for stopping by.
SHOP MY FAVORITE TANNING PRODUCTS:
Photos by Taylor Schroeder