5 Steps to Prepare the Perfect Picnic
I get so excited to pack a picnic basket! Something about setting everything up in the grass with a pretty view, soaking in the sunshine and then devouring a delicious spread just gets me every time.
I’ve set up a few different picnics over the years including a Picnic in the Poppies, a garden party, and a few others under the hashtag #LauraLilyPicnics. So today I wanted to share 5 steps on how to prepare the perfect picnic! These are tips you can use on an actual picnic blanket with friends or a significant other. You can also apply these tips to the next party you host!
- Get inspired. I save photos of picnics, food spreads that I love and then recreate them with my own spin. Here are a few photos to inspire you on Instagram: #LauraLilyPicnics
- Make a List. I make both a grocery and a prop list. They look like this:
Groceries for your Perfect Picnic:
- cheeses: brie, parmesan, cheddar
- crackers (variety pack)
- fruit: grapes, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon, cantaloupe
- spreads: honey, jam
- nuts (salted variety mix)
- prosciutto, salami,
- beverages: champagne, wine, juice, water, sparkling water
- cookies, pastries, pie, cake
- pasta salad, sandwiches
The Perfect Picnic Props:
- picnic blanket (love this one)
- picnic basket (love this one here and here)
- serving dishes (love this cheese board with knives and this pineapple cutting board)
- flowers, bubbles, Polaroid camera
- hat, umbrella, sunglasses
3. Invest in a picnic basket. I was traveling in France at the time these photos were taken so my beloved picnic basket didn’t actually come with me. Instead, I used my Streamline Luggage carryon case.
4. Bring a Cooler. A cooler will help keep everything cold and fresh. I also purchased this rolling cooler last year to make lugging my supplies back and forth much easier. Amazon has a ton of great options here.
5. Display, Display, Display. It’s all about the presentation. We literally had people stop and watch us set up this picnic. Yes, it was too pretty to eat, but we ate it anyway! Take the time to set everything out in a pretty arrangement. It will “wow” your guests and makes devouring everything that much more fun.
You can see all of my picnics on Instagram with the hashtag #LauraLilyPicnics
Thank you for reading and happy picnicking!
Shop Supplies for the Perfect Picnic
Shop My Look
ASOS dress // SUGARFIX BY BAUBLEBAR earrings // STEAMLINE luggage // EBAY sunglasses // HAT unknown
Photos by Taylor Schroeder