How to Get Over a Break Up
This blog post isn’t easy for me to write. But if it can help just one other person than it is all worth it…
Some of you may be wondering why Herman has not been around in my Instagram stories lately. You as my readers are a big part of my life and I feel it is only fair to let you know that we broke up a few weeks ago. We tried our best to work through some irreconcilable differences, but at the end of the day, it just wasn’t meant to be.
During my lifetime, I’ve been in three serious relationships. Each breakup has taught me a lot about myself. I know more about what I am looking for in a partner and I become more comfortable being on my own. So I wanted to share my tips with you on how to get over a breakup. Now everyone is different, but I hope that if you or someone you love has just gone through a break up that they can use these tips to help them feel better. Just know that breakups are a part of life, the world isn’t ending and that you are not alone.
I think too many of us settle for a relationship that we are not completely happy in because we’re afraid. Afraid to be alone or to have to go out and date again. Afraid of what other people will think if we’re single. Dating, like everything in life, has its ups and downs and I plan to share more of that experience with you on this blog. I currently have a section on dating here.
For now, let’s deal with the issue at hand…
How to Get Over a Break Up:
1. Remove anything that reminds you of that person. For me that included photos, music, clothing, notes and messages. Getting rid of triggers is important to allow you to think clearly and not constantly be reminded of that person.
2. Surround yourself with people you love and can confide in. My girlfriends have all been there for me during these past few weeks and I don’t know what I would have done without them. Sometimes you need someone to just listen and not judge you. They are there to remind you that the best is yet to come.
3. Allow yourself to grieve. Let your emotions be as they are. Cry, scream, sit in silence, laugh, go out with friends. Sometimes I just sit in silence to try and clear my head. Other times something simple will set me off and I’ll find myself crying. Its all okay. We’re only human and releasing emotions is part of the healing process.
4. Read books and watch movies. There is nothing wrong with self-help books. Two of my favorites are: You Are a Badass and Get the Guy. I’ve been watching a lot of romantic comedies lately (Under the Tuscan Sun, Eat Pray Love) and these are reminders that even after life has been really tough, there is still hope and joy in the world.
5. Take care of yourself. Just because I’m heartbroken doesn’t mean I need to look like it. Get dressed up, do your makeup, hit the gym, eat healthy. Have a spa day at home, go get a massage and your nails done. All these things help to lift up your mood. I always believe that when you look good, you feel good.
6. Spend time doing things you enjoy. It’s important not to be alone too much unless you want to be. I don’t do well being alone so I like to be surrounded by my friends or busy with something. With this breakup, I’ve put a lot more time into my blog. It’s a great escape for me because I get to chat with all of you, and it’s an investment in my future.
7. Stay positive. Sure the world may seem like it really sucks at times, and it may be unfair, but think about all you have to be grateful for. Make a list of all the things you’re grateful for and pin it somewhere you can see it every day.
I hope this tips on how to get over a break up helps, let me know if you need to talk!
SHOP MY LOOK
ASOS DRESS // EXPRESS HEELS // YSL BAG // BAUBLE BAR EARRINGS
Photos by Azusa Takano